Updated Tandy page on my PalmHeads site
Daryn Hanright
2004-09-11 01:19:09 UTC
Hi gang

Just did an update on my Tandy page on my PalmHeads site. Added a new section on
DLPilot (borrowed a Palm screenshot from your site John), and a added a few new
piccies. Have a looksee...

http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads/tandy.php

cheers
Daryn

==========================
The PalmHeads
http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 01:34:11 UTC
Post by Daryn Hanright
Hi gang
Just did an update on my Tandy page on my PalmHeads site. Added a new section on
DLPilot (borrowed a Palm screenshot from your site John), and a added a few new
piccies. Have a looksee...
http://www.planetnz.com/palmheads/tandy.php
Bitchin!

You are welcome to the screenshots, of course. I generated them with
POSE (PalmOS Emulator).

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 02:12:07 UTC
I think Hyperterminal with Xmodem will satisfy my needs. How do I get it
to transfer CO and BA (tokenized) files on the M102 end?

John
Tom F
2004-09-11 02:46:35 UTC
To transfer via Xmodem you need to install one of the Xmodem-capable
term programs. It should be one of the .CO programs, 'cause the .BA
implementations run slower than 300 bps. X-tel was a great commercial
.CO Xmodem implementation that was included in the Booster Pak rom; the
Compuserve forums had several versions of XMDPW4-6?
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 02:59:29 UTC
Ahhh... therein lies the problem; Getting a CO file on the M102. All the
DOS programs I try in order o get CO programs over leave the M102
unstable.

Also, the section that accesses the Compuserve stuff on Club100 is not
working for me.

Is there a term program wit Xmodem that is in DO format that I can then
use to get a better CO term program with?

Thanks,
John

John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 03:11:17 UTC
I just found XMDPW5.100 on Club100. It is in DO format and should work.
:>D

John

Neil Morrison
2004-09-11 03:34:19 UTC
Go to http://www.web8201.com/files.htm : "The M100SIG Library" and look for
"Lib-03-Telcom"

I'm sure there's stuff there to get you started.

Neil

2004-09-11 04:49:55 UTC
Thanks for the tip.

I tried XPTERM.... looked good, but gets verify errors at the end of all
files. I know the communication is good as I can transfer fine with
other programs.

Can anyone simply point to which is the best, stable, simple Xmodem
transfer program for the M102? What I need is:

- Small & simple
- Can be loaded as a DO file for initial run as I have to use
Hyperterminal to get it there.
- Runs stable on a M102
- Will do XModem on BA and CO

Right now, it is taking a ton of time to download them to the m102 run
them to only find out they crash, don't work, or don't do BA and CO
files.

Anyone?

John

John
Neil Morrison
2004-09-11 04:57:54 UTC
I'd convert the .CO file to a .DO by encoding it. I suspect there are
programs in that library that will do that for you.

Something like "0A3F2B" would be converted to 10,63,43 sent to the Model 100
and then converted back to a .CO file.

Neil

John
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 05:08:03 UTC
I need a program recommendation. This trying each program is a problem.
Surely someone on this list remembers a nice Xmodem program that would
do .CO and .BA files that worked with the M102???

Yes, if I *must* convert a .CO to .DO I will check out writing a GWBASIC
program to convert if I can not find one ready made. However, that is
later. First I must find a stable Xmodem program.

John

John
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 05:16:04 UTC
It looks like the terminal of choice was X-Tel. Does it still exist
anywhere except Booster pak?

If so, I could really use it and a way to write a BASIC file to make it
back into a CO after I transmit ASCII via Hyperterminal.

John
Neil Morrison
2004-09-11 05:42:07 UTC
"X-TEL is a commercial program for the Model 100/102 (and 200) with some
really neat capabilities. It supports XMODEM transfers at machine language
speeds -- fast! And it does so for binary (CO & BA) files. Finally, the
latest version provides capture of ASCII files (like Forum messages)
directly to the Chipmunk".

Not sure if anyone has a copy.

Neil

2004-09-11 06:10:14 UTC
Yep, that's one of two places I read about X-tel...

I am trying to get to sleep tonight, but I just "discovered" the WP-2
archives on the NEC site. It seems like a lot of the things I have been
considering about the WP-2 are already discussed there. Apparently the
WP-2 has XMODEM built in. Cool. Also, they already had programs
executing on the WP-2.

Still searching for reliable XMODEM for the M102.

John

John
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 15:20:31 UTC
What WP-2 archives? What is the "NEC site"?
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 16:57:14 UTC
http://www.web8201.com/files/public/M100SIG/Lib-15-WP2

The Web8201 site; it is in the M100SIG library 15. This is the link I
included in earlier messages. :>)

John

2004-09-11 05:50:38 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
I need a program recommendation. This trying each program is a problem.
Surely someone on this list remembers a nice Xmodem program that would
do .CO and .BA files that worked with the M102???
I think you're introducing too many variables, and it's just going to
cause you frustration. First you need to determine if your hardware is
OK. I was going to try out DSKMGR for you but it seems that several
folks on the list claim it wasn't all that stable.

I think you'll be better off transferring files with Desklink and
TEENY.CO. Even if you want to go to using an xmodem transfer program,
you should transfer the terminal program with desklink and TEENY.

TPDD protocol is simple, stable, and the data packets are checksummed.

TEENY is very stable. If you have problems with it, it's not the
program, it's your laptop hardware or communications setup.

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 06:16:16 UTC
Hi John,

Hardware is A-OK. I can send, receive, and execute programs A-OK.

As far as TEENY, I may just be missing some basic Model T skills when
executing ML programs. I could be loading up RAM and mis-executing
stuff. Or maybe I have too many files in C:\ROOT????

I think some of my problems relate to my inexperience with the Model T.

On the too many variables, yes, I have trained many a tech not to do
that. Solve one at a time and do not introduce more in the process.

AFAIK, the communication is absolutely A-OK. I can transfer as many
large files as I wish via Hyperterminal. I don't lose a character or
have a hiccup of any kind. I really think I am using the M/L programs
incorrectly (Clear0,x etc)

Honestly, XMODEM with the ability to send .DO, .CO, and .BA would solve
my needs nicely.

John

-- John.
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 15:27:32 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
Hi John,
Hardware is A-OK. I can send, receive, and execute programs A-OK.
How do you know that? From what I understand every program you have
tried that does a checksum has proven unstable.
Post by John M. Eicher
As far as TEENY, I may just be missing some basic Model T skills when
executing ML programs. I could be loading up RAM and mis-executing
stuff. Or maybe I have too many files in C:\ROOT????
Well Ron's docs are nothing if not complete... I'd say teeny is your
best option until you get through the learning curve, if that is indeed
the problem.

BTW, if you are creating an "xmodem server" and adding an "xmodem
client" how is that better than a "desklink server" and a "laptop dos"
combo? At least the latter is in wide use. They both do checksums.
Xmodem is probably more efficient but I doubt by an amount you would
notice.

Even if you do choose to start out with xmodem, I would just pick one
and figure out the exact problem, since I think you would agree it is
unlikely that all of these old standby programs are seriously buggy.

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 17:20:08 UTC
Nope... I used other Xmodem programs and they work fine except that they
are not designed to transfer .CO or .BA. Indeed, only *one* xmodem
program gets errors... only one.

So I have been able to transfer with Xmodem just fine with no checksum
errors. One and only one Xmodem program gives me checksum errors and
that is on *every* file it transfers! I think with that program, I have
flow control wrong or I am not invoking the M/L file correctly.

Additionally, I am able to transfer very large .DO files containing
BASIC programs. They have all transferred just fine with paste on the
host PC. I have sent over 50 files so far this way and have not lost a
single character than I know of.

I am aware that .DO files that create the .CO files might get an error
somewhere in them and that worries me about sending in this fashion.
Hence, I am trying to get a stable Xmodem capable of .CO and .DO.

In regards to Teeny's documentation. I have gone through it at least 7
times from what I believe is a clean restarted M102. The first couple of
times, I did not understand CLEAR usage. Some things I do not know are:

- In future calls of Teeny, should I be CLEARing the same way each
time?
- When does CLEAR get reset (ie reset button, etc)
- How long should I wait for Teeny to sit until I consider it locked?
Perhaps I have not been patient enough?
- How do I hard reset the M102 and how do I warm reset?
From the archives, I just learned how to make sure an M/L program is
gone. I did not do this stuff before so I might have been loading a
bunch of .CO files in and they could have been fighting.

As far as why make my own Xmodem server. Many reasons; some the same as
why I wrote in the 1980's

- I like my own interfaces
- I can
- I like to know intimately how it works so I can change it to suit my
needs
- I would only be writing it for myself so I am the only one that
needs to prefer it over Teeny :>D

I seriously don't think these old programs are buggy, except DSKMGR on
the M102(which is the one I asked people about and the M102). I am sure
it is some of my inexperience with the way the M102 handles M/L coupled
with other factors. I am narrowing down both the former and the latter.

What I have been asking for is program recommendations and in the one
case, where to find the program. As far as troubleshooting the serial
connection, I really don't need help there as I have done that for most
of my life.

Now, if I can find a good diagnostic program, it would be nice to test
the M102 or at least the RAM.

Thanks for trying to help John.

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 17:57:39 UTC
John H.

One interesting thing with XMDPW5, the only Xmdoem program to give me
Checksum errors, is that it only does it downloading from the PC. It
will upload to the PC just fine (.CO, .BA, and .DO)

John
Ron Wiesen
2004-09-11 19:59:33 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
As far as TEENY, I may just be missing some basic Model T skills when
executing ML programs. I could be loading up RAM and mis-executing
stuff. Or maybe I have too many files in C:\ROOT????
Well Ron's docs are nothing if not complete... I'd say teeny is your
best option until you get through the learning curve, if that is indeed
the problem.
I'll take "nothing if not complete" as a compliment.

-= Ron =-
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 22:14:48 UTC
Post by Ron Wiesen
I'll take "nothing if not complete" as a compliment.
You are welcome to. Completeness and accuracy are the most important
features of documentation and the teeny documentation is jam packed with
both. I just wouldn't recommend curling up in bed with a cup of hot
cocoa and the teeny docs. They need to be right in front of your
eyeballs as you endeavour to make the software it describes bend to your
will.

-- John.
Ron Wiesen
2004-09-11 23:14:05 UTC
Post by John R. Hogerhuis
wouldn't recommend curling up in bed with a cup of hot
cocoa and the teeny docs. They need to be right in front of your
eyeballs as you endeavour to make the software it describes bend to your
will.
Yes, those are the 'right kind of documentation problems' to have. Note
that the embedded FormFeeds within file TEENYDOC.TXT cause the four Teeny
manuals ("TEENY", "TEENY.EXE", "TEENY.BA", and "TEENY.CO") to page-separate
during hardcopy print. A simple DOS command line of COPY TEENYDOC.TXT PRN
gets the print & separate job done. With the four manuals separted in
hardcopy form, the 'right kind of documentation problems' are more
manageable with everything "right in front of your eyeballs".

As with all things, assume nothing and merely RTFM.

-= Ron =-

-- John.
Richard Herndon
2004-09-11 23:25:18 UTC
<x-flowed>
Post by Ron Wiesen
As with all things, assume nothing and merely RTFM.
Loosely translated, I prefer:

Read The Fine Manual

<ggg>
Rick, K5FNI
Bastrop TX

</x-flowed>
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 06:21:01 UTC
BTW John,

If I can get a decent XMODEM protocol working on the M102, I can easily
write my own "disk" server method on the PC in QuickBasic. Then, using
Telcom and Xmodem, I can list my files, upload and download with easy
and reliability.

At least this is where I am heading with Xmodem on the M102.

I wish I saved all the Xmodem BASIC subroutines I wrote years ago for
the CoCo BBS software we were writing. I had complete Xmodem send &
receive in BASIC. It would save me a whole lot of work.

John
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 06:28:58 UTC
John, I did not mean to type Xmodem as "XMODEM" in the last message. No
intention to shout. I wanted just the "X" capitalized. Sorry 'bout that.
:>)

Also, tomorrow I hope to have a gender changer for the WP-2. Then I can
use an emulator on the PC to see if the WP-2 can reliably transfer to
and from the PC. This should help in determining if the PC <-> WP-2
connection is solid. If so, then I can focus on the M102 as the culprit
since the cabling remains the same except for a gender changer and a DB9
<-> BD25 cable.

Also, the one cable I have been using most is less than 1 foot long so I
don't suspect problems from cable length.

John
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 06:41:09 UTC
According to
http://www.web8201.com/files/public/M100SIG/Lib-15-WP2/ASMPRG.TXT an IC
RAM is not necessary to program the WP-2. Apparently you assemble a Z-80
program, add an appropriate header for the WP-2, and download the file.
It is my assumption that the file can be downloaded from a PC or use a
TDD2/emulator.

This is promising info on the WP-2; no IC card needed to load M/L
programs on it.

John

" Once you have your program all assembled, you must put it in
"WP-2 format", so the WP-2 will recognize it as a program. This
is accomplished by adding the appropriate header to the
beginning of the file. The header for a program file in RAM is
eight bytes long. The first two bytes are 'PR' in ASCII. The
other six bytes are program size, entry address, and load
address, in that order. Each is a 16-bit word, stored least
significant byte, most significant byte as is normal for a
16-bit value in assembler. Specify a load address of 0000 for
normal load at AC00 (all memory address references here are in
hex). This header is all that is needed for a program file to
run (but be sure to strip off any formatting your assembler may
put in). The header for an IC-card ROM file is a bit different,
and I won't detail it since I've no way of testing it.
According to the memory map in the Service Manual, available
memory runs from AC00 to FFFF. This includes files stored in
main memory, but they are automatically moved out of the way if
they occupy the memory that your program resides in, provided
you have specified program size correctly. I experienced some
very harsh results from bad size specs, so if your program keeps
bombing for no apparent reason, try increasing the size.
Once you have your program written, downloaded, converted,
and whatnot, it is time to RUN it. This is accomplished by
going to the Files menu, highlighting the appropriate file and
pressing RUN (F2-7). If all goes well, your program will be
copied from wherever you have it stored into memory at the
appropriate location (I haven't tried any load address other
than 0000, for AC00, though).
If the WP-2 beeps at you and gives you a highlighted message
'Not program file', you have a bad header on the program.
Correct the header and try again."
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 15:18:38 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
According to
http://www.web8201.com/files/public/M100SIG/Lib-15-WP2/ASMPRG.TXT an IC
RAM is not necessary to program the WP-2. Apparently you assemble a Z-80
program, add an appropriate header for the WP-2, and download the file.
It is my assumption that the file can be downloaded from a PC or use a
TDD2/emulator.
Yes, I know that is possible, But I'm only interested in the WP-2 if
BASIC can be added permanently to it. That means adding some permanent
storage, and that goes on the expansion connector or the internal RAM
socket.

Sorry if I sometimes skip steps...

-- John.
Rick Hanson
2004-09-11 15:22:13 UTC
<x-flowed>
Post by John M. Eicher
According to >
http://www.web8201.com/files/public/M100SIG/Lib-15-WP2/ASMPRG.TXT an IC
RAM is not necessary to program the WP-2. Apparently you assemble a
Z-80 > program, add an appropriate header for the WP-2, and download the
file. It is my assumption that the file can be downloaded from a PC or
use a TDD2/emulator.
The program WP2DOS Plus "is" a TPDD2 emulator that runs on a PC. -Rick-

</x-flowed>
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 17:01:17 UTC
Yep. I could not remember the full name for the PC side emulator in the
wee hours so I used the descriptive term. WP2DOS Plus is the one of
which I was referring. Thanks Rick. :>D

The .CO files should also be able to be loaded with built-in Xmodem
protocol. At least this is what I am assuming from reading as I believe
these early M/L programming attempts on the WP-2 pre-dated WP2DOS Plus.

John

2004-09-11 20:44:13 UTC
Xmodem works great on the WP-2. It transfers all types of files, not
just ASCII. If someone could get Telcom from the WP-2 and port it over
to the M100/102, I think it would be super!

I have uploaded an M/L program to the WP-2 and executed it. Everything
works great. The WP-2 is very accessible and programmable.

Now to find time to write some Assembly programs for the beastie. ;>D

John
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 21:04:14 UTC
I am able to save and load files on the WP-2 with Desklink.

Pretty sweet!

John
Ron Wiesen
2004-09-11 22:55:22 UTC
Hello John:

Is this to say that the WP-2 is using the Xmodem protocol with DeskLink? If
so, then DeskLink recognizes both the TPDD protocol as well as the Xmodem
protocol, and can distinguish between the two. Currently there are some
reverse engineered ports of DeskLink (e.g., to Palm Pilot) in development,
so it's important to know as much about DeskLink as possible. Please
confirm.

-= Ron =-

John
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 23:04:47 UTC
Post by Ron Wiesen
Is this to say that the WP-2 is using the Xmodem protocol with DeskLink? If
so, then DeskLink recognizes both the TPDD protocol as well as the Xmodem
protocol, and can distinguish between the two. Currently there are some
reverse engineered ports of DeskLink (e.g., to Palm Pilot) in development,
so it's important to know as much about DeskLink as possible. Please
confirm.
-= Ron =-
The WP-2 has a built in DOS, to talk to a TPDD, so I figured that was
what he was talking about...

-- JRH.
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 23:09:58 UTC
Post by Ron Wiesen
Is this to say that the WP-2 is using the Xmodem protocol with DeskLink? If
so, then DeskLink recognizes both the TPDD protocol as well as the Xmodem
protocol, and can distinguish between the two. Currently there are some
reverse engineered ports of DeskLink (e.g., to Palm Pilot) in development,
so it's important to know as much about DeskLink as possible. Please
confirm.
To clarify one point, DLPilot ended up being neither a
reverse-engineered port of Desklink or a port of DL (Hurd's program). It
is a new implementation of the PDD protocol based on observing (reverse
engineering) the communication between FLOPPY.CO and a TPDD-2.

-- JRH.
Ron Wiesen
2004-09-12 00:24:13 UTC
Post by John R. Hogerhuis
To clarify one point, DLPilot ended up being neither a
reverse-engineered port of Desklink or a port of DL (Hurd's program). It
is a new implementation of the PDD protocol based on observing (reverse
engineering) the communication between FLOPPY.CO and a TPDD-2.
I see -- thanks for the clarification.

DeskLink has a function specific to TS-DOS that you might implement. Down
from \ROOT there's a 1-level 4-branch subdirectory change function. I
believe this only applies to the parent name of \ROOT, but I may be
mistaken. I know this function is present in the TS-DOS ROM. If this
function is also present in the RAM based TS-DOS (files DOS100.CO or
DOS200.CO) then you can observe communication between the Tandy laptop and a
RAM based TS-DOS to glean its signature. Note that DOS100.CO and DOS200.CO
are part of the "The HOT Setup", enclosed within DL-ARC.EXE [
ftp://ftp.whtech.com/club100/com/dl-arc.exe ].

-= Ron =-
Ron Wiesen
2004-09-12 00:27:42 UTC
I meant to say "communication between the DeskLink and a RAM based TS-DOS".

-= Ron =-

-= Ron =-
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-12 03:45:57 UTC
Post by Ron Wiesen
DeskLink has a function specific to TS-DOS that you might implement. Down
from \ROOT there's a 1-level 4-branch subdirectory change function. I
believe this only applies to the parent name of \ROOT, but I may be
mistaken.
Interesting. I will take a look. It should be useful for when I get
DLPilot to take advantage of flash card slots on the Palm. The flash
cards have a real directory structure. DLPilot as it is now generates
PalmDoc files in the Palm's battery backed RAM. These are kind of like
files on the M100 laptops. They are in a flat list of RAM files with no
hierarchical structure.

Will definitely be useful for the DL.Net though. I wonder why only 4
possible branches? Usually the way things work in software is it's
either 0, 1, or n.

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 23:10:49 UTC
Desklink is working with the built in DOS of the WP-2. It is not using
Xmodem.

Sorry to disappoint.

2004-09-11 16:54:41 UTC
No problem skipping steps. The WP-2 is all new to me.

The WP-2 posts are also for Matthew, et al that have the WP-2 who might
not know you can load programs via RS-232.

I am also interested in assembly programming the beastie as well. Today
I should have a gender changer for the cable so I can save off my
writings and then load one of the WP-2 programs on it to see it execute.

John

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-12 04:42:10 UTC
If BASIC can fit nicely in 128K of the RAMdisk, that is not quite
permanent, but pretty good. Since the WP-2 has built in DOS that uses
Desklink quite nicely and machine language runs straight off of the
RAMdisk (see archives), then it is less volatile than the M100/102 in
regards to programming.

With the stock M100/102 setup after a major crash you must load up a DOS
to access the disk to load programs back.

With the WP-2, the RAMDisk seems quite hearty and I have not crashed the
RAMDisk yet. I have crashed the WP-2 many times, but the files persist
well in the RAMdisk. Even so, since DOS is in ROM, loading up a WP-2
might prove easier and quicker than even the M100/102.

Some things gained by the WP-2:
- 80 column screen
- Possibly faster overall system
- Thinner & lighter
- Loss of built in things myself and some are not likely to use today
(modem, bar code reader)
- 128K RAMdisk
- Built in DOS
- Built in Xmodem (transfers .CO too)

My personal opinion is that the WP-2 is viable as a programmer's choice
even without IC RAM cards. The RAMdisk is pretty hearty and even if it
crashes, DOS and Xmodem are there to back the user up.

John

BASIC can be added permanently to it. That means adding some permanent
storage, and that goes on the expansion connector or the internal RAM
socket.
<cut>
-- John.
Neil Morrison
2004-09-12 04:50:36 UTC
The only Basic that would be tolerable to port over is MS Basic. The largest
version of this for the 8080/Z-80 is 16K. I don't think anyone would try to
port anything else.

Neil

2004-09-12 04:56:18 UTC
<x-flowed>
Post by John M. Eicher
If BASIC can fit nicely in 128K of the RAMdisk, that is not quite
permanent, but pretty good.
I should hope so -- the extended BASIC on my Tandy CoCo is 16K (if you
count RSDOS, 24K), and IIRC, that's the size in the Model 100/102/200's as
well...

(remember, BASIC, TEXT, ADRS, SCHEDL and TELCOM all have to fit in 32K!)

Even so, 32K should be more than enough for a very powerful BASIC!

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch-***@public.gmane.org

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????

</x-flowed>
Neil Morrison
2004-09-12 05:03:34 UTC
I should hope so -- the extended BASIC on my Tandy CoCo is 16K (if you
count RSDOS, 24K), and IIRC, that's the size in the Model 100/102/200's as
well...
(remember, BASIC, TEXT, ADRS, SCHEDL and TELCOM all have to fit in 32K!)
Even so, 32K should be more than enough for a very powerful BASIC!
I simply don't know of a Basic that would be more available and easier to
port than MS. The biggest version they ever made for this processor family
was the 16K version (they also had a 4K and an 8K version). Gates said they
cut it down to 12K for the Models I, III and 4, and later they sold a
cassette and disk which added the extra 4K back in by loading it into RAM.
Other than that you are stuck with various Tiny Basics and 4K Basics.

Neil
Ron Hudson
2004-09-12 05:25:44 UTC
<x-flowed>
Post by Neil Morrison
I should hope so -- the extended BASIC on my Tandy CoCo is 16K (if you
count RSDOS, 24K), and IIRC, that's the size in the Model
100/102/200's as
well...
(remember, BASIC, TEXT, ADRS, SCHEDL and TELCOM all have to fit in 32K!)
Even so, 32K should be more than enough for a very powerful BASIC!
I simply don't know of a Basic that would be more available and easier to
port than MS. The biggest version they ever made for this processor family
was the 16K version (they also had a 4K and an 8K version). Gates said they
cut it down to 12K for the Models I, III and 4, and later they sold a
cassette and disk which added the extra 4K back in by loading it into RAM.
Other than that you are stuck with various Tiny Basics and 4K Basics.
Neil
Surely some forth would fit there?

</x-flowed>
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-12 05:34:35 UTC
Post by Ron Hudson
Surely some forth would fit there?
For Forth I would recommend porting Z80 Camelforth, a modern ANS
Standard forth, Full source code can be downloaded from the web.

Free for non-commercial use, commercial licensing at $2/copy.

http://www.zetetics.com/camel/

There's already a version for Cambridge Z88 a laptop that might be
called the hacker friendly lovechild of the m100 and wp2.

I prefer Forth over any BASIC I have tried.

-- John.
John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-12 05:05:44 UTC
You might try porting/compiling Blassic for the WP-2. Full source code,
GPL licensed free software.

You could then tweak things to match Model100 BASIC.

Either way, patching M100 BASIC or modifying Blassic to work, are going
to be a signicant project, both doable. Personally I think forking
Blassic and just bringing the syntax up to M100 par would be the
easiest, most straightforward way unless you're a solid machine language
programmer.

Of course it also assumes C programming ability since Blassic is written
in C.

Free C compilers include Z88dk and SDCC, and there are plenty of
commercial ones that could be used. The commercial Z80 C compilers are
likely to generate *much* more efficient code than the free compilers.

-- John.
David J Patrick
2004-09-11 07:34:26 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
I need a program recommendation. This trying each program is a problem.
Surely someone on this list remembers a nice Xmodem program that would
do .CO and .BA files that worked with the M102???
XMDPW5.100 kicked some proverbial behind !
I used it extensively, in the heady 300baud BBS days, and it was
remarkable.
That's the one. The later XMDPW6 had (M200 ?) something extra but
unnecessary.
djp
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 07:53:00 UTC
Earlier in the list, I wrote about XMDPW5 and my difficulty. I kept
getting Verify errors. I am not sure if it was due to flow control, it
being a M102, or maybe I am messing up these M/L programs when I execute
them.

Did you use XMDPW5 on a M102?
What setting did you use on the Model T (specifically flow control or no
flow control)?

These are the two things I am wondering about from my bad experiences
today with the program.

Thanks,
John

djp
David J Patrick
2004-09-11 14:21:03 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
Did you use XMDPW5 on a M102?
You bet !
Post by John M. Eicher
What setting did you use on the Model T (specifically flow control or no
flow control)?
I forget, off, I think..
Post by John M. Eicher
These are the two things I am wondering about from my bad experiences
today with the program.
Something else is fishy, it gave me no problems ! ?
good luck,
djp
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 19:41:53 UTC
Hi David,

I tried WDPW5 and it works great. Unfortunately it will not transfer .BA
or .CO files. It will only do ASCII.

I must have been thinking of XPTERM when I had checksum errors. It
transfers all file types however I get checksum errors when receiving
files with it. Sending, it is just fine. It is the only Xmodem program I
have gotten checksum errors with so far. The others transfer just fine,
only they do ASCII only. :>(

However, thanks for the info.

It looks like I need to find stand alone (ie not on a booster pak)
X-Tel.

John

djp
S***@public.gmane.org
2004-09-11 06:37:38 UTC
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 06:51:09 UTC
Yes, in an earlier message I wrote "outside of Booster Pak". Thanks.

John

2004-09-11 17:09:39 UTC
Hi,

I have been using the WP2Partner program to transfer files back and forth
to my WP2. Everytime I try to run WP2Dos I get an error immediately on
the PC side and have to exist the program.

be well,

Matthew
Post by John M. Eicher
No problem skipping steps. The WP-2 is all new to me.
The WP-2 posts are also for Matthew, et al that have the WP-2 who
might
not know you can load programs via RS-232.
I am also interested in assembly programming the beastie as well.
Today
I should have a gender changer for the cable so I can save off my
writings and then load one of the WP-2 programs on it to see it
execute.
John
RAM is not necessary to program the WP-2. Apparently you assemble
Z-80
Post by John M. Eicher
TDD2/emulator.
Yes, I know that is possible, But I'm only interested in the WP-2
if
BASIC can be added permanently to it. That means adding some
permanent
storage, and that goes on the expansion connector or the internal
RAM
socket.
Sorry if I sometimes skip steps...
-- John.
Matthew Stapleton
---

Get your name as your email address.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 17:28:49 UTC
I'll give WP2DOS Plus a shot here in a minute and post back. Maybe it
doesn't like XP. :>)

John

John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 17:42:58 UTC
WP2DOS v1.0 from both 8-bit micro and from Club100 execute fine on this
XP pro box.

What is happening for you with it? With no WP-2 connected, does it just
not load up or does it load up and then exit?

If I can help in MSN messenger or something today, just drop me an email
off list.

Also something to consider when you do get it running:

According to http://www.club100.org/library/libcom.html it won't work on
FAT32 drives. Their suggestion is put it on a floppy. I am going to do
something a bit more modern and put it on a FAT16 formatted CF card.

"02-Feb-03 Charles Good, Venedocia, OH: I have recently reported that
wp2dos, the software used to load and save files from a wp2 to a pc's
hard drive, works with various versions of Windows. This is still true,
BUT, wp2dos will not work from hard drives formatted with fat32 which is
how most hard drives are formatted these days. The solution is to put
wp2dos on a floppy disk and run it from the floppy."

John

John R. Hogerhuis
2004-09-11 18:14:33 UTC
Post by Matthew Stapleton
Hi,
I have been using the WP2Partner program to transfer files back and forth
to my WP2. Everytime I try to run WP2Dos I get an error immediately on
the PC side and have to exist the program.
be well,
Matthew
I have never heard of WP2Partner. What is that? Is there source for it?

I have a promise from the writer of WP2DOS to give me the source code,
but haven't been able to get him to send it (busy with other things I
guess).

Source would help me with DLPilot since I need to understand the WP-2
document file structure.

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 18:40:43 UTC
WP2Partner can be found here I believe. I downloaded it yesterday and it
looked pretty cool.

http://www.web8201.com/files/public/M100SIG/Lib-15-WP2/WP2P10.EXE

John

-- John.
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 18:57:01 UTC
Some good news.

I now am running Teeny in a stable fashion. What I changed was this.

- I started from a clean, clean M102 (batteries out & memory protect
off... then batts in & protect on).
- I downloaded a fresh copy (again) from Club100
- Everything was placed on 16MB FAT16 CF card in the directory ROOT
- I am now using a wall wart to power the M102

As written before, I think it was mostly my not knowing how to execute
M/L programs and clear old ones.

Now I am off to try those Xmodem programs again as I would much rather
transfer via Xmodem.

John
Ron Wiesen
2004-09-11 19:59:35 UTC
Post by John M. Eicher
Some good news.
I now am running Teeny in a stable fashion. What I changed was this.
- I started from a clean, clean M102 (batteries out & memory protect
off... then batts in & protect on).
- I downloaded a fresh copy (again) from Club100
- Everything was placed on 16MB FAT16 CF card in the directory ROOT
- I am now using a wall wart to power the M102
As written before, I think it was mostly my not knowing how to execute
M/L programs and clear old ones.
Now I am off to try those Xmodem programs again as I would much rather
transfer via Xmodem.
John
Glad that TEENY got you started. Good luck with the Xmodem pursuit.

-= Ron =-
John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 20:23:13 UTC
Teeny is excellent. I am just having teething pains being a Model T
newbie.

I like Teeny a lot.

Thanks for Teeny, excellent work!

John

-= Ron =-
Matthew Stapleton

John M. Eicher
2004-09-11 18:39:03 UTC
Cool... no problem. Glad I could at least help another newbie (such as
myself) out. :>)

John

Matthew Stapleton
2004-09-11 18:38:15 UTC
sadolph
2004-09-12 12:06:45 UTC
I now have a WP-2 (actually WP-3) and I am evaluating whether or not ReMem can
immediately be dropped unchanged into one of these as well.

This would give a great substrate on which to build a new OS for the WP-2.

Steve
-- John.
Neil Morrison
2004-09-12 17:42:59 UTC
Ideally if it could be made into a plug in card for the side socket that
would be excellent. At this point I haven't studied the maximum memory
supported in that socket however. Best case is you could have Basic and
program storage there.

Neil